Actron CP9580 and CP9580A OBD2 Code Reader
Actron CP9580 and CP9580A OBD2 Code Reader / Scanner Review
The Actron CP9580 Code Reader / Scanner is a powerful device with a lot of features built in. It will quickly identify any problem that results in an engine check light or ABS check light. Diagnostic codes are displayed along with the most probable fixes. It has now been updated to the CP9580A, whose new features we will cover later in this review.
It is a user friendly unit that takes no time at all to hook up to a vehicle and display the codes. Even inexperienced users will be able to use it after just a quick glance through the manual.
This impressive code reader includes Actron’s CodeConnect feature. With this feature the device not only reports the codes, but it gives the most probable fixes related to the codes. The power of this feature is like nothing else in this price range. It tells you how the code you get is most likely fixed – which is what you need to know.
Great for do it yourself mechanics, CodeConnect includes up to 4.3 million fixes in its database, putting serious computing power in an inexpensive handheld unit. Better yet, these fixes are specific to each vehicle for more accurate diagnosis.
See It in Action
- Generic and manufacturer specific code definitions
- CodeConnect provides up to 4.3 million verified fixes specific to the vehicle’s make, model, year and engine – an awesome feature!
- Compatible with OBD-II and CAN vehicles 1996 and newer. Includes domestic ABS code coverage, record and playback data stream and graphing
- Custom datalist for live data and graph live data
- Freeze frame mode, drive cycle mode, state OBD check and print data support
- English, French and Spanish modes
- Can be updated via USB port with PC
- Optional battery power
New Features Added with Actron Model CP9580A vs CP9580
- Improved Asian Power Train and ABS (Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Hyundai 1996-2009 vehicles)
- Enhanced code request – GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Hyundai vehicles
- Auto ID – Automatically retrieves the vehicle identification number from the vehicle and decodes it
- Updated coverage – more vehicles and more years – Domestic to 2010, Asian to 2009 European to 2008
- Updated CodeConnect database – Updated from 3 million fixes to 4.3 million fixes
- New long PID name feature – Full PID name will scroll across the screen
- Additional live data items (while the engine is running)
Downsides to the Actron CP9580 and CP9580A Code Reader
- Some users have reported difficulty in updating the software using the USB with their PC
- At the time of this publication, update software was not compatible with Windows 8 or 8.1
- Domestic vehicles give best results. In late model non-domestics often the code is not read. Generic codes work but manufacturer specific often don’t
Bestselling Engine Code Readers on Amazon